Friday, May 27, 2005

The Man I Used To Know

There was a man I used to know. A man I used to love, or so I thought, before I really experienced what love is. Our love was like a funnel... no matter how much you put into it, it was never enough. I gave my love so freely, thinking if I could just give a little more, be a little more, then maybe someday I'd fill that funnel up. Pouring myself into him until there was nothing left to give. Eventually I stopped giving, and just fell through, laying in an empty room. Where had all my love gone? It's a sad state a affairs when you look around and realize all you've lost yourself in all your giving. And there's nothing to show but emptiness.

It's hard to love a person who doesn't know how to love you back. Or at least love you the way you need to be loved. I look at his picture now, at a face I memorized, and I don't know who he is. I read his words. He's searching for love. Searching for my love. I wonder why he didn't hide it away. Put it in a box, so after I'd left him, he could open it up and remember how it felt. But he didn't hide it. He couldn't hold onto it, just as he couldn't hold onto me. It bounced off of him and flew away in the wind. And now it's lost. And so is he. Or maybe I'm flattering myself and everything in his life is peaches and cream...

All I know for sure is he is this person with whom I shared so much... And now I look at his picture and he's just a man I used to know.
posted by Kellie @ 4:51 PM |

0 comments

<< Home