Monday, December 19, 2005

Look Who's Back

I am back folks! That’s right! The long awaited return of the anti-drama queen is here!

So hiya!

I hope the preparation for the holidays is going well... I finally finished buying all of my Christmas presents this weekend, and managed to avoid a murder conviction yet again during the holidays (which was NOT easy in the hell hole that is Wal-mart). And now I am back in my office in chilly 4 degree weather (yes, that is a single digit folks), and wishing that I was down in North Carolina.

As you must know, J is home now! (Cue the hoorays...) Be prepared for an update- it will probably be long- I just wanted to warn you.

I drove down to Louisville on the 6th to be ready to go bright and early on the 7th with his mother. We drove to North Carolina and stayed with J’s cousins for the night. This night involved me getting intoxicated at their country club off of many glasses of wine. Embarrassed much? Yes. But it happened- and I’m all about the honesty- so there ya go. Drunk.
The next morning was filled with hung over and no food for me. We drove to Fayetteville, which is more commonly referred to as "the armpit of North Carolina", where J and I had made our home pre-deployment. His mom and I drove to our first apartment on the list I had made and BAM! We had a winner. Not the world’s most amazing place, but clean, quiet and with a relatively good location. Oh, and cheap. Let me not forget cheap, which is, frankly, always most important. ;)

J’s dad flew in that night and I fell asleep that night feeling like a child on Christmas Eve, knowing the sooner I sleep the sooner morning will come, thus making sleep impossible. The next morning I woke with butterflies the size of softballs fighting each other in the stomach. I was sick, I was dizzy, I was happy, I was nervous- I was ready for this year apart to finally be over. We went to the Airforce base where the soldiers would return and waited... and waited... and waited... Until finally they opened the doors, and we watched as the plane rolled up, the guys unloaded and made their formation. All of the friends and families were crowded around the door, watching for their loved one to emerge from the outside. Of course, J’s group was the last to come in. Admittedly, my eyes were filled with tears and I was about the hyperventilate when I saw his face. He looked so thin, his hair was much longer, but more than anything I could not believe that he was really there- and home for good (knock on wood). As soon as the ceremony was over the crowd burst with excitement- I could no longer see him, and I felt lost in a sea of desert camo. Finally there he was, right in front of me. We hugged for an eternity and I, of course, cried like a baby (because that’s what I do). The rest of the day was spent getting his things together, signing the lease, packing the car and driving to Murtle Beach, South Carolina, where his family has a condo. We stayed there for the next few days. Ate a lot of seafood, celebrated my 25th birthday, walked on the beach, talked a lot and just enjoyed having him home again.

The next few days we said good bye to his parents at the airport and spent our time trying to take care of all that we could before I had to leave. Having him home is like making myself whole again. I feel complete- content- and just truly happy. Coming home was hard, I won’t lie. But all I can do is look forward to the next time I see him (in 4 days) and remember that this separation is, again, only temporary and only for a few months. And now I don’t have to worry about him. I have him back in the states and safe.

And with a cell phone.

Ahh bliss.
posted by Kellie @ 9:58 AM |

21 comments

<< Home